Nicole Liebau, BSW, is Director of the Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) National Resource Center at the Northeast Iowa Area Agency on Aging, Inc. There are over 50 SMP projects across the United States that focus on issues of Medicare fraud, outreach, and education.
In this podcast, Nicole Liebau talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Fraud and abuse. What these terms mean, who it can affect, and why it’s a problem.
- Examples of ways to inform the public about preventing, detecting, and reporting possible fraud and abuse.
- The importance of considering health literacy when communicating about potential healthcare fraud and abuse.
More ways to learn:
- SMP: Protect Yourself and Loved Ones from Medicare Fraud
- SMP: Read Your Medicare Statements
- SMP: Fraud Schemes
- SMP: Consequences to Beneficiaries
- National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association: The Challenge of Health Care Fraud
- Global Health Care Anti-Fraud Network: The Health Care Fraud Challenge
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Toolkit for Making Written Material Clear and Effective
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Third Edition, by Helen Osborne. Especially relevant to this podcast is the chapter, “Community Connections.”