Lenora Johnson, DrPH, MPH directs the science policy, engagement, health education, and public-facing communication initiatives of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) at the National Institute of Health (NIH). This office supports and coordinates the public facing messaging and information delivery channels on behalf of NHLBI. One of the many projects Dr. Johnson works with is NIH’s Community Engagement Alliance (CEAL) Against COVID-19 Disparities.
In this podcast, Dr. Johnson talks with Helen Osborne about:
- The importance of building trust with each audience.
- Strategies to develop and foster relationships, even when you do not share the lived experience of that community.
- Multiple ways to deliver health and science content, even in today’s digital age. In other words, what’s old is new again.
More ways to learn:
- National Health, Lung, and Blood Institute
- CEAL Team’s Tools & Resources
- “Addressing COVID-19 Misinformation: A Tip Sheet for Health Professionals Working with Community Members” (PDF)
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Third Edition, by Helen Osborne. The chapter “Community Connections” is especially relevant to this podcast.