Iris Feinberg, PhD is the Associate Director of the Adult Literacy Research Center at Georgia State University. She is a health literacy researcher and research assistant professor in the Department of Learning Sciences. Dr. Feinberg and a team created the easy-to-read booklet about COVID-19, “Answers to Coronavirus Questions.”
In this podcast, Iris Feinberg talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Communicating about an urgent medical matter in ways that meet the cultural, linguistic, and literacy needs of a very diverse audience.
- Refuting myths and explaining truths in an era of rampant misinformation.
- Creating an effective booklet by working closely with the community, using principles of plain language, and incorporating health literacy strategies throughout.
More ways to learn:
- “Answers to Coronavirus Questions”
- Adult Literacy Research Center, College of Education & Human Development, Georgia State University.
- Health Literacy Discussion List
- IHA: The Health Literacy Solutions Center, COVID-19 Materials
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Especially relevant to this podcast is Chapter 21 that focuses on “Know Your Audience: Literacy.”