Brian Wallace is President and Chief Executive Officer of the Coin Laundry Association and Executive Director of the LaundryCares Foundation. The Foundation’s mission is to provide laundry services, books, and literacy resources to those in need. This includes their Laundry Literacy Coalition–an initiative to promote early childhood literacy through America’s laundromats.
In this podcast, Brian Wallace talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Laundry Literacy Coalition. A novel connection that honors and supports the relationship between neighborhood laundromats and communities they serve.
- How laundromats are helping to promote early childhood literacy with reading corners, mini-libraries, story times, and visits from library or literacy specialists.
- Ways to connect with people who need the most help at places they already visit. Examples of how laundromats are working with local health agencies, too.
More ways to learn:
- LaundryCares Foundation. With videos, events, and a lot more information about laundromats and literacy programs working together.
- Laundromat “Family Read, Play & Learn” Kits. Resources to turn laundromats into places of learning.
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Especially relevant to this podcast is Chapter 42, “Zest and Pizzazz” that looks at the power of creative, out-of-the-box programs and ideas.