This podcast is unlike most others, for it is a conversation about Health Literacy Month with Helen Osborne and Michael Villaire.
Helen Osborne is president of Health Literacy Consulting, author of the book Health Literacy from A to Z, and founder of Health Literacy Month. She also is producer and host of this podcast series, Health Literacy Out Loud.
Michael Villaire is President/CEO of the Institute for Healthcare Advancement (IHA). Michael’s many accomplishments include being co-author of two health literacy books. He has also written several chapters and dozens of articles on the same topic.
In celebration of the 20th anniversary of Health Literacy Month, Helen and Michael discuss many aspects of this worldwide annual event. Topics include:
- Health Literacy Month origins. Including Helen’s story of starting this with 15 cents.
- Health Literacy Month was, and is, a grassroots initiative. There is no wrong way to participate. Examples of events for different types of audiences.
- Helen and Michael’s visions for Health Literacy Month—now, and in years ahead.
More Ways to Learn:
- Health Literacy Month website. Learn about Health Literacy Heroes, submit events, and request a complimentary copy of the Health Literacy Month Handbook.
- Health Literacy Discussion List. Join for free to post messages and access the archives.
- Chases’s Calendar of Events, described as “the world’s datebook since 1957.”
- International Health Literacy Association(IHLA).
- Institute for Healthcare Advancement(IHA). Includes information on its annual health literacy conference.
- Health Literacy Consulting. Sign up for the free monthly e-newsletter.
- Health Literacy Out Loud podcasts. Subscribe for free to hear them all.
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 1, 27, 42.