Samantha Wood devotes herself to serving those who are the most vulnerable and helping them fulfill their life goals. Wood is Senior Housing Stabilization Case Manager at The Haven–a multi-resource day shelter for people who are homeless. The Haven is located in downtown Charlottesville, Virginia. Samantha Wood takes pride in serving the area near where she grew up.
In this podcast, Samantha Wood talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Being homeless. What this can be like and why it sometimes happens.
- The intersection of health issues and people who are homeless.
- Ways that health systems, clinicians, and others can work with, and walk alongside of, those who are homeless to improve health and health communication.
More Ways to Learn:
- The Haven, https://www.thehaven.org/
- Virginia Housing Alliance, http://vahousingalliance.org/
- Thomas Jefferson Area Coalition for the Homeless (TJACH), https://tjach.org
- National Alliance to End Homelessness, https://endhomelessness.org/
- National Health Care for the Homeless Council, https://www.nhchc.org/
- National Low Income Housing Coalition, https://nlihc.org/
- Urban Institute, https://www.urban.org/
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 5, 19, 24, 41.