Alex Hogan is a multimedia journalist at STAT, which is a health and science news site from Boston Globe Media Partners. Hogan produces videos, illustrations and animations with the aim of making often complex topics accessible. In 2017, he produced the short documentary, “Runnin,'” which took an intimate look at the impact of the opioid crisis in his hometown of Somerville, MA.
In this podcast, Alex Hogan talks with Helen Osborne about:
- The opioid crisis. How it got started, and why it has become such a problem now.
- The intersection of the opioid crisis, health literacy, and health communication.
- Ways listeners can help, such as by not using stigmatizing language.
More ways to learn:
- STAT. Includes free newsletters, described on their site as a “daily dose of news in health and medicine.” Learn more and subscribe, https://www.statnews.com
- “Runnin’”: a new documentary from STAT, by Alex Hogan. Purchase the film to download at https://www.statnews.com/2018/05/22/runnin-new-documentary-stat/
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 13, 31, 36