The Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science is located at Stony Brook University on Long Island, NY. As stated on its website, The Alda Center “empowers scientists and health professionals to communicate complex topics in clear, vivid, and engaging ways.”
Laura Lindenfeld, PhD, is Director of the Alda Center and Professor in Stony Brook’s School of Journalism. As a communication researcher, Lindenfeld helps scientists communicate in direct and engaging ways. Her goal is to advance meaningful, productive interactions with communities, stakeholders, and decision-makers by strengthening linkages between knowledge and action.
Susmita Pati, MD, MPH, is Chief Medical Program Advisor at the Alda Center. She not only is a practicing pediatrician but also a nationally-recognized expert in population health analytics, innovation, and system transformation. Pati knows well how important clear communication is to everyone in healthcare including patients, parents, physicians, and other clinicians.
In this podcast, Helen Osborne talks with Laura Lindenfeld and Susmita Pati about:
- Alan Alda, and why he founded The Center for Communicating Science.
- What improv is. And how this acting technique can help scientists and health professionals better communicate spoken and written messages.
- How empathy, listening, sharing stories, being fully present, and other such skills help build connections with colleagues and the audience.
- Ways these skills also help professionals rediscover their passion for this work.
More Ways to Learn:
- The Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science, at https://www.aldacenter.org
- Alan Alda. Learn more at http://www.alanalda.com
- If I Understood You, Would I Have This Look on My Face? Book by Alan Alda. Order your copy at http://www.alanalda.com/alan_alda_about_the_books.php
- MIT Museum, https://mitmuseum.mit.edu
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 11, 13, 24, 31, 41
Read the transcript of this podcast.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download