Aretha Delight Davis MD, JD, and Angelo Volandes MD, MPH, are an amazing team. They not only are married to each another but also created, run, research, and otherwise make possible ACP Decisions — an ever-growing collection of video support tools designed to help patients and families make informed decisions about advance care planning and end-of-life care. They both are physicians. Dr. Davis is also a lawyer. Their accomplishments are many and build on a deep and unwavering commitment to empowering patients.
In this podcast Dr. Davis and Dr. Volandes talk with Helen Osborne about:
- Advance Care Planning (ACP). What it includes and why this topic is important to patients, caregivers, and healthcare professionals.
- “Death illiteracy” and other reasons it can be hard to discuss advance care planning.
- Tips, strategies, and tools to help make advance care planning conversations easier. These include using videos and excellent consumer-facing websites.
More ways to learn:
- ACP Decisions, https://www.acpdecisions.org
- The Conversation Project, http://theconversationproject.org
- Stanford Medicine’s Letter Project, https://med.stanford.edu/letter.html
- PREPARE for your care, https://www.prepareforyourcare.org
- Volandes A, The Conversation: A Revolutionary Plan for End-of-Life Care, Bloomsbury USA, 2016. Learn more at https://www.amazon.com/Conversation-Revolutionary-Plan-End-Life/dp/1620408554/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503760311&sr=8-1&keywords=the+conversation+angelo+volandes
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 5, 8, 13, 22, 30, 41