Susan Woods, MD, MPH, is a seasoned health care and technology executive with broad experience spanning private and public sectors. Dr. Woods not only is a general internist but also consumer informatics expert and Director of Patient Experience for the Connected Care Office at the Veterans Health Administration. Her work focuses on using technology to engage patients and families in health and healthcare. One way is by patients accessing their notes in medical records, otherwise known as Open Notes.
In this podcast, Dr. Susan Woods talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Open Notes, a way for patients to electronically and securely access their own clinical notes thought a patient portal.
- How Open Notes benefit patients and providers through transparency, trust, and better health outcomes.
- What to do even if your healthcare system does not yet use Open Notes.
More Ways to Learn:
- OpenNotes: patients and clinicians on the same page, http://www.opennotes.org/
- GetMyHealthData, https://getmyhealthdata.org
- Your Rights Under HIPAA (HHS), http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-individuals/guidance-materials-for-consumers/index.html
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 1, 11, 13, 2736