Christina (Tina) Cordero, PhD, MPH, is a Project Director in the Department of Standards and Survey Methods, Division of Healthcare Quality Evaluation at The Joint Commission. Among her many accomplishments, Tina developed the patient-centered communication standards and The Joint Commission monograph Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient- and Family-Centered Care: A Roadmap for Hospitals.
In this podcast, Tina Cordero talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Why, how, and when The Joint Commission got interested in health literacy.
- What The Joint Commission requires and recommends in regard to patient communication interaction.
- The Joint Commission’s Roadmap as a resource and framework for practice.
More Ways to Learn:
- The Joint Commission monograph, Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, and Patient- and Family-Centered Care: A Roadmap for Hospitals. Access the monograph and other Joint Commission resources at http://www.jointcommission.org/advancing_effective_communication/
- Health Literacy Universal Precautions Toolkit, 2nd Edition. Learn more and access many resources at http://www.ahrq.gov/professionals/quality-patient-safety/quality-resources/tools/literacy-toolkit/
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 1, 27, 30.