Cory Ellen Nourie, MSS, MLSP, is the Transition Social Work Coordinator at Nemours Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, DE. She supports young adults with disabilities and special health care needs as they transition to adulthood. Nourie is active in research and advocacy work, serves on numerous advisory boards, and frequently gives presentations about young adults’ disease self-management and transitions in healthcare services.
In this podcast, Cory Nourie talks with Helen Osborne about:
- How a healthcare transition is a planned purposeful movement from pediatric care to adult medicine.
- Ways children can start assuming responsibility for their own medical management.
- What physicians, other clinicians, office staff, parents, and others can do to help.
More ways to learn:
- Got Transition. Includes strategies for health professionals, youth, and families. At http://www.gottransition.org
- Nemours Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children produced a series of videos about healthcare transition. They include “Becoming an Adult: Taking More Responsibility for My Care” at http://youtu.be/cjXurYrFMZM
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 17, 32.