Lyla Hernandez has been a Senior Program Officer at the Institute of Medicine (IOM) for many years. She served as the study director for projects that include public health, health indicators, genomics, complementary and alternative medicine, and Gulf War veterans’ health. Now, Hernandez is the Staff Director of IOM’s Health Literacy Roundtable.
In this podcast, Lyla Hernandez talks with Helen Osborne about:
- IOM’s Health Literacy Roundtable: What it is, who’s involved, and how it works.
- Examples of how IOM’s Health Literacy Roundtable is helping to create a more health literate environment for individuals and organizations.
- Free learning tools and resources from IOM’s Health Literacy Roundtable. These include workshops, discussion papers, and webcasts.
More Ways to Learn:
- IOM Roundtable on Health Literacy. With links to discussion papers, reports, members, meetings, and more.
- Brach D, Keller D, Hernandez LM, et al (June 2012), “Ten Attributes of Health Literate Health Care Organizations.” Discussion paper (PDF).
- Health Literacy: A Prescription to End Confusion (2004). Published by the National Academies Press.
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 1, 4, 27.
Read a transcript of this podcast.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download