Dr. Leila Jahangiri is a dentist, clinical professor and department chair in Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry. NYU is the largest dental school in the United States and Dr. Jahangiri has vast experience in teaching and patient care. She focuses a considerable amount of time researching effective communications and is co-author of the book, A Guide to Better Teaching.
In this podcast, Dr. Jahangiri talks with Helen Osborne about:
- How good communication starts even before the patient sits in a dental chair.
- Ways to help reduce a patient’s anxiety and fear of pain or the unknown.
- Strategies that dentists, medical professionals, and patients can use to improve communication.
More Ways to Learn:
- Jahangiri L, Mucciolo T (2012), A Guide to Better Teaching: Skills, Advice, and Evaluation for College and University Professors. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
- ADA (American Dental Association). With resources for professionals and the public. At http://www.ada.org.
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 4, 7, 19, 24, 41.
Read a transcript of this podcast.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download