Suzanne O’Connor, MSN, has worked as an advanced practice nurse for many years in hospital emergency departments, intensive care units, and outpatient practices. She now educates and consults with clinicians of all disciplines about crisis communication, conflict resolution, patient satisfaction, and working with difficult people.
In this podcast, Suzanne O’Connor talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Crisis communication. And why people have trouble listening and absorbing information when fear and anxiety is high.
- Ways to build rapport, establish trust, and communicate in clear, yet caring, ways.
- Strategies to customize information, reduce resistance, and confirm understanding throughout difficult conversations.
More ways to learn:
- Suzanne O’Connor’s website, http://www.suzanneoconnor.com
- National Speaker’s Association, New England chapter, https://www.nsanewengland.com
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 5, 13, 41.