Kari Stanley is Director of Community Benefit at Legacy Health in Portland, Oregon. In this position, Stanley develops and oversees strategies that align Legacy’s mission with its identified community needs. She also leads Legacy’s system-wide health literacy initiative. This includes creating and running a regional health literacy conference.
Stanley talks with Helen Osborne about planning her first, and now, second health literacy conference. This includes recommendations about:
- Creating a plan with specific goals and metrics.
- Leading a team that organizes the conference.
- Choosing topics and vetting speakers so as to meet learning needs.
- Funding the conference, choosing a venue, and managing other logistics.
- Assessing success, following-up, and building enthusiasm for next year.
More Ways to Learn:
- Legacy Health, http://www.legacyhealth.org
- Legacy’s 2013 Health Literacy Conference “Toward a Culture of Clarity,” http://www.legacyhealth.org/healthliteracy
- IHA’s Annual Health Literacy Conference, http://iha4health.org
- Health Literacy Out Loud podcasts, www.healthliteracyoutloud.com
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 1, 27, 40.