Dr. Howard K. Koh serves as the 14th Assistant Secretary for Health for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Dr. Koh is dedicated to the mission of creating better public health systems for prevention and care so that all people can reach their highest attainable standard of health. Health literacy is key to accomplishing this goal.
In this podcast, Dr. Koh talks with Helen Osborne about:
- How health literacy is a dynamic systems issue and public health challenge.
- Why health literacy is at a “tipping point,” moving from the margins to mainstream.
- New Federal policies, initiatives, and tools that boost health literacy.
More Ways to Learn:
- “New Federal Policy Initiatives To Boost Health Literacy Can Help the Nation Move Beyond the Cycle of Costly ‘Crisis Care’,” by Koh HK, Berwick DM, Clancy CM, Baur C, Brach C, Harris LM, Zerhusen EG. Health Affairs, January 2012. Abstract at http://content.healthaffairs.org/content/early/2012/01/18/hlthaff.2011.1169.abstract
- National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy. At http://www.health.gov/communication/hlactionplan/
- Health Literacy Out Loud #39: National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy. At http://healthliteracy.com/hlol-national-health-literacy-action-plan
- Plain Writing Act of 2010. At http://www.plainlanguage.gov/plLaw/index.cfm
- Health Literacy Out Loud #73: Plain Writing Act of 2010. At http://healthliteracy.com/hlol-plain-language-act
- Healthcare.gov. At http://www.healthcare.gov/
- Healthfinder.gov. At http://www.healthfinder.gov/
- Health Literacy Out Loud #34: Creating Usable, Useful Health Websites for Readers at All Levels. At http://healthliteracy.com/hlol-websites-for-all-readers
- Health Literacy Universal Precautions Toolkit, from AHRQ. At http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/literacy/
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 1, 27.