Susan Pisano is the Vice President of Communications for America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP) — a national association whose member companies provide health insurance coverage to more than 200 million Americans. As Vice President for Communications, Pisano acts as a spokesperson for AHIP and is responsible for outreach to member companies, the news media, and other major audiences. Pisano also serves as the primary staffer for AHIP’s Health Literacy Task Force.
In this podcast, Susan Pisano talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Organizing a health literacy task force. How, who, what, why, and when of leading a large and diverse committee.
- Making a strategic plan and being clear about goals.
- Creating tools, tookits, and policies to help task force members.
- Measuring success as a way move projects and ideas forward.
More Ways to Learn:
- America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), http://www.ahip.org/
- AHIP’s health literacy resources. Includes “Health Plan Organizational Assessment of Health Literacy Activities.” Learn more and access health literacy tools at http://www.ahip.org/content/default.aspx?bc=39|341|22050
- Peterson PN, Shetterly SM, Clarke CL et al. “Health Literacy and Outcomes Among Patients with Heart Failure, JAMA 2011:305(16):1695-1701.
- Osborne H (podcast), April 26, 2011. Health Literacy Out Loud #57: Texting Important Health Messages. An audio interview with Julie Gazmararian. Available at http://healthliteracy.com/hlol-texting
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 4, 13, 30.