Rebecca Burkholder JD is a healthcare attorney and Vice President of Health Policy at the National Consumers League–a national, nonprofit membership organization that has been representing consumers and workers since1899. Burkholder coordinates the League’s work on various health care issues including safe use of medication, patient safety, doctor-patient communication, and direct-to-consumer advertising. She also coordinates the League’s new national medication adherence campaign, “Script Your Future.”
In this Health Literacy Out Loud podcast, Burkholder talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Medication adherence. What it is and why it is so important today.
- Research about why patients do not take medication as directed.
- Script Your Future, a broad-based educational campaign with tools, resources, and links to help improve medication adherence.
More Ways to Learn:
- Script Your Future, at http://scriptyourfuture.org/
- National Council for Patient Information and Education (NCPIE) Medication Adherence National Action Plan, http://www.scriptyourfuture.org/hcp/download/fact_sheet/Medication%20Adherence%20National%20Action%20Plan.pdf
- World Health Organization (WHO) Report on Adherence http://www.who.int/chp/knowledge/publications/adherence_introduction.pdf
- Questions are the Answer, from AHRQ. Available at http://www.ahrq.gov/questionsaretheanswer/
- Osborne H, June 25, 2008. “In Other Words…’Questions Are the Answer’ to Helping Patients Understand Their Health,” On Call. Available at http://healthliteracy.com/question-asking
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018) Relevant chapters include: 13, 26, 30.