Dr. Richard Carmona is the 17th Surgeon General of the United States, Distinguished Professor at the University of Arizona, Vice Chairman of Canyon Ranch, and President of the non-profit Canyon Ranch Institute. He understands the importance of health literacy from a lifetime of personal and professional experiences.
In this podcast, Dr. Carmona talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Why he is such a champion of health literacy,
- How health literacy factors in all we do, including emergency and crisis situations as well as public health, and
- What others can do to help. As Dr. Carmona says, “Every citizen needs to become a health literacy public health practitioner.”
More Ways to Learn:
- Canyon Ranch Institute: The Power & Possibility of a Healthy World. At http://www.canyonranchinstitute.org.
- Canyon Ranch Institute’s Perspectives about Health Literacy, at http://www.canyonranchinstitute.org/perspectives/healthlit/
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 1, 27.