Jeff Belkora PhD is a faculty member at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). There he runs the Medical Center’s Decision Services program, helping patients weigh the risks and benefits of their treatment options. Belkora also consults with outside organizations about decision support for patients making life-changing choices. In all this work, Belkora’s focus is on leadership, teamwork, and decision-making.
In this podcast, he talks with Helen Osborne about:
- How decision support helps patients reflect critically on life-changing choices.
- Strategies and systems to help patients understand decisions and communicate effectively.
- Lessons learned that listeners can use in day-to-day practice.
More Ways to Learn:
- UCSF Medical Center: Breast Cancer Decision Services, at http://decisionservices.ucsf.edu
- Jeff Belkora’s Guidesmith site, www.jeffbelkora.com
- Foundation for Informed Medical Decision Making, http://www.informedmedicaldecisions.org/
- American Cancer Society, http://www.cancer.org/
- National Cancer Institute Help Options, http://www.cancer.gov/help
- Osborne H, “In Other Words…Helping Patients Make Difficult Decisions,” On Call magazine, April 2004. Available at http://www.healthliteracy.com/article.asp?PageID=3808
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 8