Deborah Wachenheim is the Health Quality Manager at Health Care for All (HCFA) in Boston, MA. The mission of HCFA is to create a consumer-centered healthcare system that works for everyone, especially those who are most vulnerable.
HCFA’s Consumer Health Quality Council drafted legislation that was recently enacted to establish Patient and Family Advisory Councils at all hospitals in Massachusetts. In this podcast, Wachenheim talks about the process of making this happen.
- Patient and family advisory councils. What they are, how they help, and who they include.
- Process of drafting and enacting a new statewide law.
- Lessons learned about patient councils and the legislative process.
More ways to learn:
- Deborah Wachenheim is the Health Quality Manager at Health Care for All. You can contact her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Health Care for All, http://www.hcfama.org/. Click this link to find more information about Patient and Family Advisory Councils.
- Institute for Patient and Family-Centered Care, http://www.ipfcc.org/
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 27, 30, 40.