Karen Baker is Senior Vice President for Consumer Experience at Healthwise–a non-profit health communications company based in Boise, Idaho. As a team, Healthwise developed an interactive multimedia educational series called “Conversations.”
“Conversation on Dealing With Low Back Pain” recently received a top award for outstanding communication from the Center for Plain Language. Baker talks about the process that Healthwise used to develop, test, and implement this interactive, innovative educational tool.
- How interactive multimedia can help people learn about their health.
- Communicating important messages with metaphors, characterization, graphics, humor, and other creative strategies.
- Working as a team to create, test, and implement innovative projects.
- Lessons learned that listeners can use in day-to-day practice.
More Ways to Learn:
- To see the Healthwise(R) Ix(R) Conversation on Dealing with Low Back Pain, go to http://www.healthwise.org/backconversation/
- To learn about Healthwise, go to http://www.healthwise.org
- To see information about the Center for Plain Language, go to http://www.centerforplainlanguage.org/index.html. To read its list of ClearMark and WonderMark award winners, go to http://www.centerforplainlanguage.org/awards/index.html
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 9, 28, 36.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download