Rick Siegrist is the CEO of Press Ganey – a worldwide company that helps more than 10,000 healthcare organizations measure and improve the quality of their care. For many years, Press Ganey learned about the patient experience mostly through satisfaction surveys. Now it is learning even more by analyzing the sentiments (comments) that patients write on these surveys.
Looking at satisfaction data along with patients’ sentiments is proving to be an effective way of understanding many aspects of the patient’s experience, including health communication.
In this podcast, Rick Siegrist talks about:
- Using satisfaction surveys to learn about and improve healthcare quality.
- Analyzing sentiments – a way to translate human emotion into hard data.
- Bridging sentiments, satisfaction and health communication in your practice.
More Ways to Learn:
- Press Ganey: Partners In Improvement, at http://pressganey.com
- “Mining the Web for Feelings, Not Facts” by Alex Wright, New York Times, August 23, 2009. Available at http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/24/technology/internet/24emotion.html
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 4, 6, 27.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download