Cynthia Baur, Ph.D., is the Senior Advisor for Health Literacy at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a division of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). She co-chairs several federal health literacy initiatives, including the workgroup for Healthy People 2020 Health Communication and Health Information Technology.
Dr. Baur is the lead author for the National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy and helped develop CDC’s online health literacy training for health professionals. In this podcast, she talks with Helen Osborne about the National Plan to Improve Health Literacy. Topics include:
- How the National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy was developed with input from researchers, practitioners, and community members.
- Ways individuals and organizations can use this health literacy action plan.
- A national and international perspective about health literacy.
More Ways to Learn:
- National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy. Available at http://www.health.gov/communication/HLActionPlan/
- Proceedings of the Surgeon General’s Workshop on Improving Health Literacy. Available at http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/healthliteracy/toc.html
- Healthy People 2010 & 2020. Available at http://www.healthypeople.gov/
- CDC: Health Literacy for Public Health Professionals (Web-based). Available at http://www2a.cdc.gov/TCEOnline/registration/detailpage.asp?res_id=2074
- HRSA: Health Literacy Free Online Course. Available at http://www.hrsa.gov/healthliteracy/default.htm
- Health Literacy Out Loud Podcast #17: Dr. Arthur Culbert Talks About Statewide Health Literacy Initiatives. Available at /2009/06/23/hlol-17-dr-arthur-culbert-talks-about-statewide-health-literacy-initiatives/
- Health Literacy Out Loud Podcast #15: Dr. Rima Rudd Talks About the Health Literacy Burden in Healthcare. Available at /2009/05/04/hlol-15-dr-rima-rudd-talks-about-the-health-literacy-burden-in-healthcare/
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 1, 27.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download