Domenic Screnci, Ed.D. is the Executive Director for Educational Media and Technology at Boston University. He also co-directs Boston University’s new online Master of Science Health Communications Program. Dr. Screnci has 30 years experience in the field of biocommunications and serves as an educational technologist, instructional systems designer and integrator, instructional designer and a producer of curriculum materials for traditional and new media based educational projects.
In this Health Literacy Out Loud podcast, he talks with Helen Osborne about visual literacy. Topics include:
- What visual literacy is and how it relates to health literacy
- Ways visual literacy helps readers interact with information
- How to adapt visuals to meet the needs of specific audiences
More ways to learn:
- International Visual Literacy Association, http://www.ivla.org
- Visual Learning, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_learning
- Visual Literacy, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_learning
- Information Design, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_design
- Target ClearRX (click” Meet the Inspiration” to read more about the pill bottle), http://sites.target.com/site/en/health/page.jsp?contentId=PRD03-003977
- Edward Tufte – Presenting Data and Information Books and Workshop, http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/index
Books & articles:
- Burmark, L. (2002) Visual Literacy: Learn to See, See to Learn.
- Clark, R.C. & Lyons, C. (2004). Graphics for Learning.
- Doak, C.C., Doak, L.G., Root, J.H., 1996. Teaching Patients with Low Literacy Skills (2nd ed.). (Chapter 7: Visuals and How to Use Them). http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/healthliteracy/doak.html
- Gangwer, Timothy Patrick (2nd Edition out Feb. 15, 2009) Visual Impact, Visual Teaching: Using Images to Strengthen Learning
- Hodgdon, L. A. (1995). Visual Strategies For Improving Communications: Practical Support for Home and School.
- Lambert, David and Browning Wroe, Jo (2008) Visual Literacy (Bk. 1) Lipton, R. (2002). Designing Across Cultures: How to Create Effective Graphics for Diverse Ethnic Groups.
- Lohr, Linda L. (2007) Creating Graphics for Learning and Performance: Lessons in Visual Literacy (2nd Edition)
- “Thoughts on Visual Literacy,” http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/healthliteracy/doak.html
- “Visual Literacy in Higher Education,” http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI4001.pdf
- “Information Design: It is all in the process,” http://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ELI4001.pdf