Andrew Krueger, M.D. is the Medical Director for Accordant Health Services (a division of CVS Caremark Corporation). His responsibilities include directing and supporting Health Management Medical Affairs, providing medical leadership to numerous projects and committees, and serving as the senior clinician providing guidance for Accordant’s disease management programs.
In this podcast, he talks with Helen Osborne about health literacy and management of chronic disease. Topics include:
- What disease management programs are and why health literacy matters
- Ways to communicate with patients including by telephone, mail, and the Web
- How helping patients understand their conditions can improve health outcomes
More ways to learn:
- Osborne, H. “In Other Words…Confirming Understanding With the Teach-Back Technique,” On Call magazine, November 20, 2007. Available at http://www.healthliteracy.com/article.asp?PageID=6714
- Osborne H, 2004. Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett. To order, go to most online bookstores or the publisher’s website at http://www.jbpub.com/catalog/0763745502/