Leroy (Lee) B. Joesten is Vice President of Mission and Spiritual Care at Lutheran General Hospital, part of Advocate Health Care in the Chicagoland area. He is an ordained Lutheran minister and certified hospital chaplain. Chaplain Joesten has developed ministries for the bereaved and those facing life threatening and terminal illnesses. He also has chaired Lutheran General’s Health Literacy Task Force since 2003.
In this podcast, he talks with Helen Osborne about generating hospital-wide interest and activity about health literacy. Topics include:
- Why health literacy is important to address hospital-wide
- Health literacy strategies, initiatives, and lessons learned
- Wishes and vision for the future in terms of health literacy
More ways to learn:
- Lee Joesten. You can reach him by email at Lee.Joesten@advocatehealth.com
- Advocate Lutheran General Hospital, http://www.advocatehealth.com
- American Medical Association Foundation’s Health Literacy Kit, http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/9913.html
- Ask Me 3 (initiative to help patients ask questions), http://www.npsf.org/askme3/
Health Literacy from A to Z: Practical Ways to Communicate Your Health Message, Second Edition (Updated 2018), by Helen Osborne. Relevant chapters include: 4, 11, 27, 41.