Benard Dreyer, MD, is Professor of Pediatrics, Director of the Division of Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics, Director of Pediatrics at Bellevue Hospital, and a pediatric hospitalist at NYU Langone Medical Center. He co-chaired the American Academy of Pediatrics “Project Advisory Committee on Health Literacy,” co-edited the book Plain Language Pediatrics, and serves on the Institute of Medicine’s Health Literacy Roundtable.
Shonna Yin, MD, MSc, is a general pediatrician and Assistant Professor of Pediatrics and Population Health at the NYU School of Medicine, Bellevue Hospital Center. She is an NIH-funded researcher focused on the development and evaluation of low literacy strategies to improve parent understanding of health information, including medication instructions.
In this podcast, Dr. Dreyer and Dr. Yin talk with Helen Osborne about:
- Common dosing errors parents make with liquid medication
- Research about using the milliliter as a standard dosing unit
- Ways professionals and parents can help improve medication safety
More Ways to Learn:
- “Unit of Measurement Used and Parent Medication Dosing Errors,” by Yin HS, Dreyer BP, Ugboaja DC, Sanchez DC, Paul IM, Moreira HA, Rodriguez L, Mendelsohn AL. Published in AAP’s Journal, Pediatrics on July 14, 2014.
- “NCPDP Recommendations and Guidance for Standardizing the Dosing Designation on Prescription Container Labels of Oral Liquid Medications,” National Council for Prescription Drug Programs white paper, 2014. At http://www.ncpdp.org/NCPDP/media/pdf/wp/DosingDesignations-OralLiquid-MedicationLabels.pdf
- Yin HS, Kressly SJ. “Antidote for medication overdoses: Use metric dosing, educate parents.” AAP News 2013; 34(12):4.
- Plain Language Pediatrics, edited by Abrams MA and Dreyer BP. Published by the American Academy of Pediatrics in 2009.
- The PROTECT Initiative: Advancing Children’s Medication Safety. From the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, at http://www.cdc.gov/medicationsafety/protect/protect_initiative.html
- Institute of Medicine’s Health Literacy Roundtable. Learn more at http://www.iom.edu/Activities/PublicHealth/HealthLiteracy.aspx
- “IOM’s Health Literacy Roundtable (HLOL #114),” a podcast interview with Lyla Hernandez at http://www.healthliteracyoutloud.com/2014/04/29/ioms-health-literacy-roundtable-hlol-114/
Read the written transcript.