James Heilman MD, CCFP-EM is an Emergency Room physician in Canada. He also has faculty appointments at the University of Saskatchewan and the University of British Columbia. Beyond these more traditional medical roles, Dr. Heilman describes himself as a “Wikipedian,” serving as a volunteer editor of Wiki Project Medicine since 2008.
In this podcast, Dr. James Heilman talks with Helen Osborne about:
- WikiProject Medicine, the most used medical resource in the world.
- Credibility, accuracy, and other common concerns about this resource.
- You too can be a Wikipedian. And help communicate complicated ideas in clear and simple ways.
More Ways to Learn:
- Wikipedia: WikiProject Medicine. At https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:MED
- Wikipedia Talk: WikiProject Medicine. At https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:WikiProject_Medicine
- The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine, www.opentextbookofmedicine.com
- Heilman JM, Kemmann E, et al, (2011) “Wikipedia: A Key Tool for Global Public Health Promotion,” Journal of Medical Internet Research. At http://www.jmir.org/2011/1/e14/
To read a transcript of this podcast, go to http://healthliteracy.com/transcript.asp?PageID=11752