Susan Reid is the Consulting Manager at Workbase, a not for profit organization in New Zealand that specializes in workforce and health literacy issues. Susan and her colleagues are currently working with New Zealand’s Ministry of Health and healthcare organizations to identify the impact of health literacy on their systems, workforce, and patients and families.
In this podcast, Susan Reid talks with Helen Osborne about:
- What to know about learners before deciding how much to teach.
- How reading theory helps make health teaching more effective.
- Examples of ways to learn about your learners.
More Ways to Learn:
- Workbase: Leading Workforce Literacy, at http://www.workbase.org.nz
- Workbase’s health literacy website www.healthliteracy.org.nz
- “Health literacy medication safety project evaluation report, training tools and resources,” from Health Quality & Safety Commission New Zealand. At http://www.hqsc.govt.nz/our-programmes/consumer-engagement/publications-and-resources/publication/1073/