Barbara Balik RN, EdD, worked as a nurse and nurse practitioner before moving into leadership roles as chief nursing officer, executive vice president and then CEO of large hospitals and clinics in an extensive healthcare system. Balik co-founded Aefina Partners, an organization committed to healthcare transformation through partnerships among healthcare leaders, physicians, team members, patients, and families. She is on the Senior Faculty at the Institute for Healthcare Improvement and a member of the National Patient Safety Foundation Board of Governors.
In the podcast, Barbara Balik talks with Helen Osborne about:
- Framing health literacy as essential for partnerships with patients, families, and the community.
- Six steps for talking about health literacy with senior executives.
- Making a case for health literacy even when it feels like pushing a rock up the hill.
More ways to learn:
- Aefina Partners, http://www.aefinapartners.com. To see slides with further information about what Barbara discussed in this podcast, go to http://www.aefinapartners.com/resources.html
- National Patient Safety Foundation, http://www.npsf.org
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement, http://www.ihi.org
- “A Conversation About the Always Use Teach-back! Toolkit (HLOL #93),” at http://www.healthliteracyoutloud.com/2013/03/19/a-conversation-about-the-always-use-teach-back-toolkit-hlol-93/