Cindy Brach is the lead for health literacy and cultural competence at the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Brach has overseen the development of several health literacy tools including the Health Literacy Universal Precautions Toolkit. She is also the first author of “Ten Attributes of a Health Literate Health Care Organization,” a discussion paper published in June 2012 by the Institute of Medicine.
In this podcast, Cindy Brach talks with Helen Osborne about:
- What “health literate organizations” are and why they matter.
- How this paper was inspired by the National Standards on Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) from the HHS Office of Minority Health
- Ten attributes of health literate health care organizations, along with examples and resources to learn more.
More Ways to Learn:
- Brach C, Keller D, Hernandez LM, Bauer C, Parker R, Dreyer B, Schyve P, Lemerise AJ, Schillinger D, “Attributes of a Health Literate Organization,” (June 2012), Discussion Paper from the Institute of Medicine. At (http://iom.edu/~/media/Files/Perspectives-Files/2012/Discussion-Papers/BPH-Health-Lit-10-Attributes-of-Health-Lit-Orgs.pdf)
- AHRQ, Health Literacy and Cultural Competence. At http://www.ahrq.gov/browse/hlitix.htm
- AHRQ. Health Literacy Interventions and Outcomes: An Updated Systematic Review. At http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/tp/lituptp.htm
- AHRQ. Health Literacy Universal Precautions Toolkit. At http://www.ahrq.gov/qual/literacy/
- AHRQ. Pharmacy Health Literacy Center. At http://www.ahrq.gov/pharmhealthlit/
- HHS, Office of Minority Health. National Standards on Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services. At http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/templates/browse.aspx?lvl=2&lvlID=15
- HHS. National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy. At http://www.health.gov/communication/hlactionplan/
- Health Literacy Out Loud #39: National Action Plan to Improve Health Literacy. At http://healthliteracy.com/hlol-national-health-literacy-action-plan
- Institute of Medicine, Roundtable on Health Literacy. At http://www.iom.edu/Activities/PublicHealth/HealthLiteracy.aspx
To read a transcript of this podcast, click here: http://healthliteracy.com/transcript.asp?PageID=11242