Bonnie Braun, Ph.D., served as the first Director and Endowed Chair of the Horowitz Center for Health Literacy at the University of Maryland’s School of Public Health. Bonnie Braun is a lifelong adult educator. Her many accomplishments include authoring nearly 100 peer-reviewed articles, founding and chairing Health Literacy Maryland, and leading the creation of the award-winning consumer curriculum, Smart Choice Health Insurance.
In this podcast, Helen Osborne talks with Bonnie Braun about:
- Teachable moments, when learners have a need or problem to solve.
- Building a teaching framework based on well-established theories of adult learning, education, and psychology.
- Who, why, what, and how. Essential questions to answer when preparing to teach about health or health insurance or other topics.
More Ways to Learn:
- You can contact Bonnie Braun directly at email@example.com
- Extension Education Theoretical Framework with Criterion-Referenced Assessment Tools, from University of Maryland Extension, http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/insure/Theoretical%20Framework%205-22-14.pdf
- Smart Choice Health Insurance Brief, from University of Maryland Extension. At http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/insure/Smart%20Choice%20Brief%208-14-13.pdf
- Smart Choice Health Insurance Workbook, from University of Maryland Extension, http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/uploaded/My%20Smart%20Choice%20Workbook%20with%20cover%2012.6.13.pdf
- Become a Smart Choice Certified Educator, from University of Maryland Extension, http://www.extension.umd.edu/insure
- Choosing a Health Plan: Ways to Make This Experience Easier and More Consumer-Friendly (HLOL #87). A podcast interview with Lynn Quincy. At http://healthliteracy.com/hlol-healthplan
- Ask Me 3, from the National Patient Safety Foundation. At http://www.npsf.org/for-healthcare-professionals/programs/ask-me-3/